LTO Artist Of The Week- Pandit Pashupati Nath Arya





What is the history to your taking up Music – how did it come into being, your journey (in brief)

In ways you can say that it was god-gifted to me. I always had great great interest in music from my childhood ,I always used to see lord Krishna with bansuri so at first I went to temple situated in my home at the age of 4years and the first time I brought the gold bansuri from the Krishna statue and tried to played the instrument


So who are your favourites/ Icons/ Role Models in the field of music?

My only favourite icon/role model in the field is lord Krishna who always lives in my heart and gives me motivation to do different invention.


Does your Music carry a message / a theme or a story ..if so can you share more on it…?

My music carries a deep message of peace and energy because my music is not related to noise or fixed compositions. It is related to meditation, it is of the mind and soul by which I give energy and entertain the people by not only Indian music but through my use of many type of flavours of different countries, states and genre, by fusion of my music in western and eastern.


Of all the performances you’ve given, which is your favourite one and why?

I have performed all over the world but my favourite one is the performance in Uganda: At that time, I was just 22 years and was invited in a music conference in which all the legendry artists of India and other countries were also there. That time when I entered the conference everybody said that he is just a small guy, what can he play? And they laughed at me. But when I started playing the bansuri a pin drop silence spread in all the conference and people enjoyed my music so much and appreciated me by listening to my own inventions and creations at just that small age.

Do you have any interesting fan stories to tell?

In one of my concerts there was a young girl (foreigner). In that concert I remember playing music therapy covering different moods. After the performance when I went into the green room that same girl was present here. When I inquired what she was doing there, she proposed to me (Laughing).  At that time, I was just shocked as she was my daughter’s age. Anyways after explaining the situation she finally understood.


Of all the music you’ve created, which is your favourite one and why?

My one of the favourite is the composition which I recorded recently on the flavours of Indian and western music. I like it personally because it gives me energy and I used tabla in it as western drums which sounds amazing.


Can you share about some funny incident that happened on-stage / during performance / with you or the other artists / stage members?

One of the funny incident that I remember was that in one of the concerts as soon as I had started playing the front mike fell on the chief guest. The staff then had to use a rope to hang the mike.


How has the musical journey been so far for you and what are you looking forward to

Its very difficult for me to explain this in few words. It was very difficult and I struggled a lot to get my music noticed by the world.

For the future I have only one aim and that is to provide real music, energy, peace to people and specially to get the youth involved in Indian music and culture more than the western culture and music. To destroy the mentality of people about music that it is just for entertainment. I have also written a book named “The definition of music” to let people get in touch with the real music. It has been my attempt that I can help the folks distinguish between different styles, fusion, Indian and Western as well.


Do you have any words of advice for youngsters who are thinking of getting into this line?

I will suggest that to learn true music first find a true “Guru” not just a teacher and do more and more Riyaz to get noticed because shortcuts will never help you succeed and there are no shortcuts to Riyaz and  music.


www.localturnon.com